Our corporate giving policy features a two-pronged approach focused on educational and environmental projects. We are also happy to support our team members in their individual efforts to play an active role in projects they believe in.
Every day, we work with some of the world’s top researchers and scientists. We are able to do this because of the strong educational backgrounds of our engineers, technicians and other skilled employees. We realize how important it is to invest in public education and to support STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) education in particular. Our educational giving includes the following:
- Henderson County Public Schools Robotics–Equilibar is excited to support the Henderson County Public Schools Robotics Program by sponsoring FRC Team 1225. This group of local high school students learns about science and engineering—as well as teamwork, marketing, and logistics–by building robots for international competition. The team has won several championships and awards in the prestigious FIRST Robotics Competition. In 2017 Team 1225 began meeting and working at the Boys and Girls Club of Henderson County, providing easier access for students who otherwise may not be able to participate.
- Fletcher Elementary School–At Thanksgiving, Equilibar’s production team donates a portion of proceeds from shipping to help provide Thanksgiving dinner for underprivileged families at our local elementary school. We enjoy this opportunity to connect with families and to express thanks to the educators who are teaching the future scientists, engineers and technicians in our community.
- West Henderson High School Science Olympiad Team, 2017 State Competition–In the spring of 2017, Equilibar was able to help the West Henderson High School Science Olympiad Team go to the state championship after they won the regional competition. We are proud of their efforts and look forward to similar opportunities in the future..
Equilibar is located near multiple forests, wilderness areas and national parks in the Appalachian Mountains of Western North Carolina. The area has a rich ecosystem with diverse plant and animal life. Many of our team members choose to live here because of the outdoor activities that are available, so land conservation is a natural fit for our corporate giving. We are happy to support the following:
- Friends of DuPont Forest–Equilibar founder Jeff Jennings has been involved in land conservation efforts since the 1990s when he was an engineer at the DuPont Company’s x-ray film plant in Western North Carolina. Jennings played an instrumental role in the formation of DuPont State Recreational Forest and has served on its board and/or advisory board for more than two decades. Equilibar is happy to sponsor the Friends of DuPont Forest website, which provides key information and support for this immensely popular resource.
- Friends of the Smokies–For several years, Equilibar has provided volunteers and financial support for Gran Fondo Asheville, a bicycling race to benefit the Friends of the Smokies. In addition, our team members have volunteered at the event. Friends of the Smokies works to protect the natural resources, facilities and visitors of Great Smoky Mountains National Park, located less than an hour from Equilibar.
Individual Community Service
Equilibar offers a Community Service Program to enable team members to participate in volunteer activities they find personally meaningful. Equilibar provides volunteer time or matching funds for qualifying community service projects for each of our full-time employees.
Engineering, math, and science come into play as the HCPS Robotics Team works on their entry.
Equilibar team members deliver gift certificates for Thanksgiving dinner to Fletcher Elementary staff.
Jeff Jennings, founder and president, has served on the board of Friends of DuPont Forest since its beginning.
Gran Fondo Asheville benefits Great Smoky Mountains National Park.